- Nominees currently must be in grades 8–12.
- Only individual students can be nominated, not groups.
- Students may be in public, private, parochial, or home school in the United States.
- Nominees must commit to traveling to New Orleans (with one chaperone; all travel expenses paid) June 11-13, 2020
- Nominations must be submitted through the Billy Michal Student Leadership Award webpage by January 31, 2020
- Awardees will be selected based on their demonstrated commitment to making a positive contribution to their school, community, country, and/or the world.
- Only fully completed nominations will be eligible for consideration.
Awardees will be notified by February 14, 2020, and asked to sign and return a letter of commitment, information forms, and media release by February 28, 2020